These quick and easy Chicken Taco Poblano Rice Bowls are perfect for dinner or to make ahead for meal prep! Made in a skillet, with diced chicken breast, poblano peppers, corn, pico de gallo and cheese.
Chicken Taco Poblano Rice Bowls
This healthy chicken taco rice bowl recipe takes boring chicken breast and makes it exciting with taco spices and veggies. They are servedover brown rice instead of a tortillas. Great for dinner or to make ahead for meal prep. For more Mexican-inspired bowl recipes, try my Chipotle Chicken Bowls, Spicy Pork Brussels Bowls, Shrimp Fajita Bowls, and Quinoa Huevos Rancheros Bowls.
These chicken taco and rice bowls are ready in under thirty minutes and are very family-friendly since they are so customizable. Set out all the toppings, and your family members can skip any they don’t like. Plus, these bowls are great for meal prep. You can cook the chicken, veggies, and rice ahead of time and then assemble the bowls and top with the pico de gallo, cheese, and sour cream at dinner time. You can also put all the ingredients, including the toppings, in a glass container and take it with you to work for an easy lunch.
How to Make Taco Seasoning from Scratch
I season the chicken with my homemade taco seasoning blend. Of course, you could buy it, but it’s super simple to make homemade taco seasoning with spices you probably already have. And making it yourself is less processed, and you can control the amount of sodium. All you have to do is mix all the spices below in a small bowl:
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- chili powder
- sweet paprika
- dried oregano
How to Make Pico de Gallo from Scratch
Pico de gallo is a fresh tomato salsa that’s perfect on top of tacos, chips, and so much more. To make pico de gallo from scratch, combine chopped tomatoes, onion, and cilantro and season with lime juice and salt. You can also add some chopped jalapeno if you prefer it spicy.
Chicken Taco Bowl Tips and Variations:
- Sub the chicken for boneless chicken breast, steak or ground meat.
- Swap the poblano pepper for bell pepper or jalapeño to make it spicy.
- Add black beans for more protein and fiber.
- Top your bowl with sliced avocado or guacamole.
- Add some hot sauce or fresh jalapenos for some extra spice.
- Switch out the brown rice for cauliflower rice for a low-carb bowl.
- Use my Cilantro Lime Rice or my cauliflower rice version as the base instead of brown rice.
To Meal Prep: Divide chicken and rice into four meal-prep containers. Pack the pico de gallo and toppings in a separate container. Keep covered and refrigerate up to four days. To reheat, microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
More Chicken Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
Chicken Taco Poblano Rice Bowls
These quick and easy Chicken Taco Poblano Rice Bowls are perfect for dinner or to make ahead for meal prep!
- 1 1/4 pounds organic boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut 1/2 inch cubes, from 3 small
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced plus more for garnish
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 roma tomato, cored and diced
- 1 lime, halved
- taco seasoning, see below
- kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, heated (use cauliflower rice for low-carb)
- 1/4 cup cheddar-jack cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% sour cream or Greek yogurt, optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
Dice the chicken into small pieces. Combine taco seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
To make the pico de gallo, set 3 tablespoons of the diced onion aside and place it in a bowl with tomato, cilantro, 2 teaspoons lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook until it starts to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the remaining onion, poblano pepper and taco seasoning to the skillet and cook until it softens, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and corn. Cook 1 to 2 minutes then remove from heat.
Divide rice in 4 bowls, top with chicken, cheese, pico de gallo and optional sour cream.
Serving: 1bowl, Calories: 475kcal, Carbohydrates: 52g, Protein: 40.5g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 116mg, Sodium: 407.5mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 3.5g
Blue Smart Points: 8
Green Smart Points: 11
Purple Smart Points: 3
Keywords: chicken bowls, chicken breast recipes, skillet chicken